Results for: solution
1. (Chemistry) a homogeneous mixture of two or more substances in which the molecules or atoms of the substances are completely dispersed. The constituents can be solids, liquids, or gases
2. (Chemistry) the act or process of forming a solution
3. (Chemistry) the state of being dissolved (esp in the phrase in solution)
4. (Chemistry) a mixture of two or more substances in which one or more components are present as small particles with colloidal dimension; colloid a colloidal solution
5. a specific answer to or way of answering a problem
6. the act or process of solving a problem
7. (Mathematics) Maths
a. the unique set of values that yield a true statement when substituted for the variables in an equation
b. a member of a set of assignments of values to variables under which a given statement is satisfied; a member of a solution set
8. (Medicine / Pathology) the stage of a disease, following a crisis, resulting in its termination
9. (Law) Law the payment, discharge, or satisfaction of a claim, debt, etc.
[from Latin solūtiō an unloosing, from solūtus; see solute]
solution /slun/ n. 1 [C] an answer to a problem, a way of solving it: The police found the solution to the mystery. 2 [C;U] a mixture of a solid and a liquid, in which the solid dissolves (one can no longer see the solid): a solution of salt and water
Thesaurus: solution 1 an explanation of s.t., a key to s.t. 2 a blend, mix.