Results for: operator
1. a person who operates a machine, instrument, etc., esp, a person who makes connections on a telephone switchboard or at an exchange
2. a person who owns or operates an industrial or commercial establishment
3. (Economics, Accounting & Finance / Stock Exchange) a speculator, esp one who operates on currency or stock markets
4. Informal a person who manipulates affairs and other people
5. (Mathematics) Maths any symbol, term, letter, etc., used to indicate or express a specific operation or process, such as Δ (the differential operator)
operator /pretr/ n. 1 a person who operates equipment: The operator of a big truck must be careful not to injure others. 2 a person who handles telephone calls at a switchboard: I didnt know how to make an overseas call, so I asked an operator to help me. 3 infrml.fig. a person who gets what he or she wants through dishonest behavior: Hes an operator who gets women by pretending to be rich.
Thesaurus: operator 1 a driver 2 a switchboard operator, receptionist 3 a con man, swindler.