Results for: offical
1. Of or relating to an office or a post of authority: official duties.
2. Authorized by a proper authority; authoritative: official permission.
3. Holding office or serving in a public capacity: an official representative.
4. Characteristic of or befitting a person of authority; formal: an official banquet.
5. Authorized by or contained in the U.S. Pharmacopoeia or National Formulary. Used of drugs.
1. One who holds an office or position, especially one who acts in a subordinate capacity for an institution such as a corporation or governmental agency.
2. Sports A referee or umpire.
[From Middle English, ecclesiastical officer
, from Old French, from Latin officilis
, an attendant of an office
, from officium
, duty, service
; see office
of·ficial·dom n. of·ficial·ly adv.