The capital of the Maldives, on Male, the chief atoll of the island country. Population: 92,600.
a. Of, relating to, or designating the sex that has organs to produce spermatozoa for fertilizing ova.
b. Characteristic of or appropriate to this sex; masculine.
c. Consisting of members of this sex.
2. Virile; manly.
a. Relating to or designating organs, such as anthers or antheridia, that produce gametes capable of fertilizing those produced by female organs.
b. Bearing stamens but not pistils; staminate: male flowers.
4. Designating an object, such as an electric plug, configured for insertion into a recessed part or socket.
1. A member of the sex that begets young by fertilizing ova.
2. A man or boy.
3. Botany A plant having only staminate flowers.
[Middle English, from Old French, from Latin masculus, diminutive of ms, male.]
Synonyms: male, masculine, manlike, manly, manful, virile, mannish These adjectives mean of, relating to, or characteristic of men. Male categorizes any living thing by gender or sex: the male population; a male puppy; a male plant. Masculine refers to what is considered characteristic of men: a masculine voice. Manlike applies to qualities of a man (manlike fortitude) or resemblance to a human (manlike apes). Manly describes qualities regarded as becoming to a man: manly strength. Manful suggests bravery and resoluteness: a manful display of chivalry. Virile stresses the vigor, power, or sexual potency of an adult male: The virile figure of Theodore Roosevelt swung down the national highway (Edward Bok). Mannish usually applies to women or their traits, clothing, or actions when they seem masculine: a mannish suit.
1. (Life Sciences & Allied Applications / Biology) of, relating to, or designating the sex producing gametes (spermatozoa) that can fertilize female gametes (ova)
2. of, relating to, or characteristic of a man; masculine
3. for or composed of men or boys a male choir
4. (Life Sciences & Allied Applications / Biology) (of gametes) capable of fertilizing an egg cell in sexual reproduction
5. (Life Sciences & Allied Applications / Biology) (of reproductive organs, such as a testis or stamen) capable of producing male gametes
6. (Life Sciences & Allied Applications / Botany) (of flowers) bearing stamens but lacking a functional pistil
7. (Electronics) (Engineering / Mechanical Engineering) ElectronicsMechanical engineering having a projecting part or parts that fit into a female counterpart a male plug
a male person, animal, or plant
[via Old French from Latin masculusmasculine]
1. In organisms that reproduce sexually, being the gamete that is smaller and more motile than the other corresponding gamete of the same species (the female gamete). The sperm cells of higher animals and plants are male gametes.
2. Possessing or being a structure that produces only male gametes. The testicles of humans are male reproductive organs. Male flowers possess only stamens and no carpels.
A male organism.
male /mel/ n. the member of any species that produces sperm to fertilize eggs: Human males mature physically at approximately 13 years of age. adj.1 related to the male: Male goats are called billy goats.2 the part of a machine designed to be put inside another part 3infrml.male chauvinist (pig): a man who oppresses women: He is a male chauvinist who thinks women cannot be as good as men in business and politics.See: man, USAGE NOTE.
Thesaurus: malen. a man, boy (people) | bull, rooster, ram, etc. (animals). Ant. female.