adj. bet·ter (btr)
, best (bst)
1. Being positive or desirable in nature; not bad or poor: a good experience; good news from the hospital.
a. Having the qualities that are desirable or distinguishing in a particular thing: a good exterior paint; a good joke.
b. Serving the desired purpose or end; suitable: Is this a good dress for the party?
a. Not spoiled or ruined: The milk is still good.
b. In excellent condition; sound: a good tooth.
a. Superior to the average; satisfactory: a good student.
b. Used formerly to refer to the U.S. Government grade of meat higher than standard and lower than choice.
a. Of high quality: good books.
b. Discriminating: good taste.
6. Worthy of respect; honorable: ruined the familys good name.
7. Attractive; handsome: good looks.
8. Beneficial to health; salutary: a good nights rest.
9. Competent; skilled: a good machinist.
10. Complete; thorough: a good workout.
a. Reliable; sure: a good investment.
b. Valid or true: a good reason.
c. Genuine; real: a good dollar bill.
a. In effect; operative: a warranty good for two years; a drivers license that is still good.
b. Able to continue in a specified activity: Im good for another round of golf.
a. Able to pay or contribute: Is she good for the money that you lent her?
b. Able to elicit a specified reaction: He is always good for a laugh.
a. Ample; substantial: a good income.
b. Bountiful: a good table.
15. Full: It is a good mile from here.
a. Pleasant; enjoyable: had a good time at the party.
b. Propitious; favorable: good weather; a good omen.
a. Of moral excellence; upright: a good person.
b. Benevolent; kind: a good soul; a good heart.
c. Loyal; staunch: a good Republican.
a. Well-behaved; obedient: a good child.
b. Socially correct; proper: good manners.
a. Landing within bounds or within a particular area of a court and therefore in play: The first serve was wide, but the second was good.
b. Passing between the uprights of the goal and therefore scoring, as a field goal in football.
20. Used to form exclamatory phrases expressing surprise or dismay: Good heavens! Good grief!
a. Something that is good.
b. A good, valuable, or useful part or aspect.
2. Welfare; benefit: for the common good.
3. Goodness; virtue: There is much good to be found in people.
a. Commodities; wares: frozen goods.
b. Portable personal property.
c. (used with a sing. or pl. verb) Fabric; material.
5. goods Slang Incriminating information or evidence: tried to get the goods on the crook.