a. Any of the distinct parts of the face, as the eyes, nose, or mouth.
b. The overall appearance of the face or its parts. Often used in the plural.
2. A prominent or distinctive aspect, quality, or characteristic: a feature of ones personality; a feature of the landscape.
a. A property of linguistic units or forms: Nasality is a phonological feature.
b. In generative linguistics, any of various abstract entities that combine to specify underlying phonological, morphological, semantic, and syntactic properties of linguistic forms and that act as the targets of linguistic rules and operations.
a. The main film presentation at a theater.
b. A full-length film.
5. A special attraction at an entertainment.
6. A prominent or special article, story, or department in a newspaper or periodical.
7. An item advertised or offered as particularly attractive or as an inducement: a washing machine with many features.
a. Outward appearance; form or shape.
b. Physical beauty.
tr.v.fea·tured, fea·tur·ing, fea·tures
1. To give special attention to; display, publicize, or make prominent.
2. To have or include as a prominent part or characteristic: The play featured two well-known actors.
3. To depict or outline the features of.
4. Informal To picture mentally; imagine: Can you feature her in that hat?
[Middle English feture, from Old French faiture, from Latin factra, a working or making, from factus, past participle of facere, to make, do; see dh- in Indo-European roots.]
feature /fitr/ n.1 an important part or characteristic of a product or service: The salesman described to us the cars many features.2pl.features the mouth, chin, nose, eyes, etc. of the human face: That model has beautiful features.3 an important article in a newspaper or magazine: There was a feature in the local newspaper about the high cost of housing.4 a full-length movie: We saw a feature about a plane crash in the Amazon jungle. v. [T] -tured, -turing, -tures to advertise as important, (syns.) to highlight, promote: The department store featured lamps and rugs in its annual sale.
Thesaurus: featuren.1 a quality, highlight | trait, attribute 3 a column, story, piece.
Usage Note: One can also say feature film or feature-length film or movie.