Results for: Expansion
1. the act of expanding or the state of being expanded
2. something expanded; an expanded surface or part
3. the degree, extent, or amount by which something expands
4. an increase, enlargement, or development, esp in the activities of a company
5. (Mathematics) Maths
a. the form of an expression or function when it is written as the sum or product of its terms
b. the act or process of determining this expanded form
6. (Engineering / Mechanical Engineering) the part of an engine cycle in which the working fluid does useful work by increasing in volume
7. (Engineering / Mechanical Engineering) the increase in the dimensions of a body or substance when subjected to an increase in temperature, internal pressure, etc.
expansion /kspnn/ n. [C;U] an en-largement, increase: The company is hiring more people and is going through an expansion. -adj. expansionary; expansionist.